Sangam Festival at Norman Park
Saturday 24th of July
1:00 -3:00pm – Norman Park, Birkby, Huddersfield
A fun, free event for all the family, with stalls, craft workshop, South Asian dance and music, juggling and circus skills. Why not bring a picnic!
Come along and enjoy an afternoon of free entertainment, including :
- My Family Tree workshop with Tasneem Kausar – kiroarts.com
- Dance performance with Sumana Narain and her students
- Musical performance on the veena (Indian string instrument) by Praneetha Bhartath
- Juggling and circus skills with Chris Marley
- Food stalls
- Take a jungle animal selfie
- Win a huge tiger toy in our Name the Tiger competition!
My Family Tree
"Come along and join us for this fun and creative family activity. Celebrate your heritage by making your very own family tree. All materials provided. Hosted by local artist Tasneem @kiroarts "
All about south Asian feminism
Saturday 7th of August
2:00 -3:00pm – Batley Library
FREE – 20 tickets – Must pre-book
As part of South Asian Heritage month Kirklees libraries together with the Community Cohesion Team are celebrating the evolution of feminism within the South Asian culture. Join a progressive panel in conversation, discussing the roots of feminism, what it symbolises and where it’s headed as well as hearing stories and advice from local inspiring women. We encourage a friendly and positive atmosphere;
all ages are welcome.
Check out these links! For further information on South Asian Feminism.
Feminism in the new decade by South Asian Heritage Month (video)
South Asian Feminism Journal Articles
- Introduction: Feminist Theory and the Study of South Asian Religion
- The Feminist Movement: Where Are All the Asian American Women?
- Feminism versus Multiculturalism
- The Development of Feminist Consciousness among Asian American Women